Saturday, July 31, 2010

Linden Lab Viewer2 and the Open Source Alternatives

Greetings to everyone:_)
Due to recent events at LL in regards to SL and Viewer2. I have decided to reinstate this Blog and post here on a regular basis, with the purpose being to further the development of the Viewer2 project. Also since I am a long time SL builder there will also be occasional post's and picture's of my various building projects. Please feel free to post your comments and opinions here, I will not be moderating this blog ! It is yours to use freely, I do however ask that you respect your fellow readers, no vulgar language, no flame wars. I am here again for the sole purpose to make Viewer2 a success, and intend to devote as much time as possible towards this goal. So lets get started:_)

Yesterday Friday July 30 2010 I listened to Philip and BK Lindens meeting in regards to the future of SL. The one thing that stood out in my mind was LL admitting that V2 was and still has a very poorly designed User Interface, however the underlying code base allows for some very interesting and needed features. I have decided to focus on 4 different versions of V2.
#1 the Standard LL current version
#2 the Snow Globe Standard version
#3 the Snow Globe Experimental version
#4 the KirstenLee Cinquetti version

The test bed for all reviews will be done using an Intel Based Pentium 3 733mghz 756meg ram and Nvidia 7300 512meg video card, Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows XP Home SP3. I have decided to use this older hardware for two reasons. To many bad experiences with V2 borking my main rig, and I feel if this box is able to run V2 than anyone should be able to as well. This is not a set in stone decision, as V2 progresses into a more mature platform, I may change my mind, and install it to more modern hardware.

JayR Cela :_)

No comments: