Thursday, October 7, 2010

A new Version Of The Phoenix Viewer

Hi there, thanks for returning to my madness reviewing  various SL and Open Sim compatible viewers.

Today I have been playing around with the newest version of Phoenix.Version 1.5.1.373
A slightly different log in screen. With some non-functional links.

 The first thing I noticed is that OpenJpeg seems to be absent. A complete search of my HD reveals that it is not included in this viewer. I suspect they have rolled their own .dll file, and renamed it.

FPS is a very steady 20 to 30, Packet loss is solid 0.0% even in an extremely busy simm, 

All textures and objects rezz quickly.


 This is mind boggling.

As the 1.2x series of Open Source Viewers continue to back port features from V2 at a very rapid pace.




( Something that LL denies is even possible )
I can see no reason, besides Kirstens V20(39) to even bother with Viewer2

As the Lab continues to move forward with their V2 agenda, it becomes, as I see it, a mater of self denial, a horribly flawed, failed project, and a huge waste of time and money.


Search is still broken,( that's a server side problem, and  has nothing to do with the viewer )

The new Market Place is borked. What the heck are these folks thinking?

I'll be testing the latest version of SnowStorm tomorrow, but I feel that LL is spitting in the wind. They really should give serious consideration to abandoning this V2.  Re-name it Viewer 3, get rid of the Sidebar, fire a few more people and move ahead.

I attend several LL meetings a week, and the arrogant attitude I see, is yes we know about Kirstens and Phoenix, and Dolphin , and Ascent and Herni's Cool VL Viewer, but we choose to ignore them.

Go figure that one out. I guess they are getting a paycheck by not making waves.


Whatever, Phoenix  works. Kicks the crap out of Viewer 2, performance wise, and makes a total sham out of the Labs feeble efforts to keep a seriously dead in the water project alive.

Not much else to really report on here. The newest version of Phoenix is a total Kick Butt viewer. It has all the features I have come to appreciate from the former Emerald team, runs like a banshee, and allows you to set up Open Sim accounts. ( bye~byee LL and SL ) OS-Grid and Open Simm are about to eat you for lunch.

As the Lab continues to be shamed by all the Open Source Dev's with superior products, I think perhaps is time they just get the heck out of the way!!





Sorry Esbee and Oz, I know you two are trying to fix a huge mess, but it is time to move on.

 Stop wasting resources on V2, Create a V3,  at least you will not have to deal will all the negative's associated with a seriously flawed client.
LL you have been SMOKED!! again. 


JayR Cela :_)

No comments: