Sunday, April 3, 2011

InWorldz Viewer ~or~ Imprudence "Witch is Best ?"

By Avatar JayR Cela

    Today wraps up my series on the InWorldz Grid.

    For this final segment I will be using the official IW client V1.2.5.2 There are 2 versions for Windows, standard and SSE2. If you are running an older computer P3 or Athalon etc. use the standard version, most of the later P4's and Athalon's support multi threading, or anything with multiple CPU cores will work best with the SSE version. The IW Linux version is still at V1.0.x, and I don't know about the Mac distribution.

    Anyways my initial impression was, and still is very positive, The IW Client is a very nicely done  V1.x series viewer that is highly refined and very easy to use. I also noticed that it t did seem to rezz textures quite a bit faster than Imprudence, but lacked a few features from the later.

     The IW viewer  come's with the old standby SL V1.x Blue and Silver skins, normally I prefer silver, but in this case, a redundant and unnecessary seacrh bar in the upper right hand corner of the screen obscured my view of my I'z $ amount. I scoured the debug settings to no avail, trying to turn the darn thing off, but no luck. I did however stumble upon a number of useful settings for other features not available in the main menu while searching. I'm not an expert at manipulating Debug Setting's, so I guess I will just leave that up to the expert's out there. In the mean time let's take a look, at a very well designed Client for the InWorldz Grid.












     Log in screen is pretty much the same











         Lot's of nice features built in. Including Animation Overrider, Area Object Search, Radar, Fast Alpha, HTTP Texture Get, Use Multiple Threads. Everything you need is there for easy access. You may have to hunt around a bit to find everything, but overall it seems to be much more logically laid out than the Imprudence client.














      I have to say, quite a bit of thought was put into the design of this viewer. There are few things I would like to see added, and I am sure they will come along as this OS platform continue's to evolve.

     So let me just talk about InWorldz in general. This is a very cool place, quite a few bug's, but that is to be expected. ( They are only 2 years old ) My overall feeling's are very positive however. The amount of time and effort put into making new residents feel comfortable is astounding. All the people on staff are friendly and enthusiastic about this new place in Virtual Reality.

     I showed you the Womens Free-Bee shop, there is a Mens place too. A Gadget store, a Garden shop, a Texture Area. All the basic's you could ever wish for in order to start a new place of your own in a new Virtual World are right there, neatly organized, and right under your fingertips.























 

    So what's the right Viewer for you while using InWorldz ? You be the judge. Any Grid Hopping Client will do. Phoenix, Dolphin, Singularity etc....

    All in all I had a wonderful time exploring this Virtual World. I have placed a link to their Home Page off to the right hand side of this blog. Will I be back ?  Most definitely!

    In closing, I would like to thank Scotsgreymouser Janus, for allowing me to use a small parcel of land  as a home base during this series, and Astra Thorne for just being a very cool friend.

    Lots of things are about to happen in the Open Sim Virtual World Universe. InterOp and HyperGrid total integration are not very far off. If you would like to start exploring other Virtual World's I highly encourage you to do so. InWorldz is a great place to start.

JayR Cela :_)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for this great series :) Hope to see you around IW sometimes. Just yell if you see me ;) Oh and do be sure to come back once they roled out the script engine and also the physics engine. Script engine is currently running on the beta grid for final testing \o/

Anonymous said...

can't find Phoenix Viewer for inworldz only comments about it help pls want my Phoenix

JayR Cela said...

Hi there Anonymous, it's fairly easy to add InWorldz to the Phoenix viewer. If you read the Inworldz web page they supply all the information you need, then in the phoenix viewer, just open the grid manager menu, plug in the information from the InWorldz web page instructions, and wha-laaa you will now be able to select between SL or InWorldz when you are ready to go Virtual.

JayR :_)