Friday, April 1, 2011

Linden Lab Dumb's Down Viewer2 "How Much Dumber Can You Get ?"

By Avatar JayR Cela

    Ok first off, V2 has got to be the most crippled piece of garbage available so far for SL. Last year the Lab decided to create the SnowStorm Team to squash Bug's, and thats great. No mater how lethargic the process has been. They are making progress. Is it fast enough ? NO WAY !! Far to many issues are getting shuffled around to even warrant the further development of SnowStorm much longer. I predict the project will be shelved by mid or late May this year. Let's face it, the writing is on the wall. It's time to Put Up or Shut Up.

   The recent Jira Storm-941 fiasco dealing with IM Log's proves that point quite handily. SnowStorm screwed around with this problem since December of last year. It took the Phoenix FireStorm team 1 month to solve it. ( And these people are not even on the payroll )  Muting group Chats supposedly was solved in the V2.3 release. It's rather obvious that this annoyance has been placed on the back burner by the convoluted SCRUM process that SnowStorm uses to classify and set priorities with as well. ( 10$ to a Doughnut, my money is on Phoenix FireStorm to fix this before LL does )
  
    So 2 days ago V2.6 was released with great fanfare, Basic and Advanced Modes. Give me a break please ! As if V2 was not Basic enough as it is already. I thought the whole idea behind V2 was to make it simplified to begin with. Now their going to Dumb it Down. Oh thats a brilliant move. NOT !!! How can you possibly get any Dumber than V2 already is ?

     When Phillip announced last year a 2 tiered Viewer experience, I said Yay !! We will have V2 for new people and V2 Advanced for Old Time SecondLifer's. Instead We have this still hopelessly crippled piece of garbage to deal with ( V2 ) and now an even more hopelessly crippled piece of crap V2 Basic. Someone give me an Aspirin please.

    Ok so let's get down to brass tacks here. ( Viewer 2.x ) We have the ability to make Outfit's with Links. Very Cool idea, and Implementation. It is possibly the best thing that ever happened to SL. We have Media on a Prim "Whoop de Do" I could care less. And we now have a user profile system that is so bizarre it is beyond belief, not to mention it now takes 4 to 6 mouse clicks to do what I was once able to accomplish in 2 clicks, and lets not forget the waiting period while the darn thing loads. ( Hey this is Progress ?, Just Watch Us Crash & Burn )

    So how many people actually use V2 ? Well besides the LL employee's and new folks that don't know any better, and a small handful of other people. My guess is not many.

     Here is a Pic from a popular club. You be the judge. I count 1 V2 user, and mostly Standard V1.x users.



    OK, OK I know I complain a lot here, If I did not care, I would say nothing. I know quite a few people on the SnowStorm Team, and have a great deal of respect for them all. I truly believe that their hands are being tied behind their backs by some higher up's within LL, that just do not have a clue as to what the heck is actually going on. The Lab needs to set these people free and let them do their job, get the hell out of their way and let them code.

    Either that or just admit ya screwed up Big Time !

JayR Cela :_(

2 comments:

oviya said...

Really well done for the blog.these are so sweet and pretty!

Scrum Process

JayR Cela said...

Thank's for your comment, and the link explaining the SCRUM Process Ovlya.

I still think that "SCRUM" remind's me of something I would prefer not to have to pick out my panties in the morning though.

Now "SPRINT", theres a word that at least reminds me to get my daily exercise.

JayR :_)