Sunday, September 23, 2012

SecondLife's Survival : The NPSL Group : Nonprofits in Second Life : Can They Save SL ?

By Avatar JayR Cela

    It's not very often I get involved in SL politic's lately. Those days are long gone, or so I thought. Recently my dear friend Gentle Heron, of  the Virtual Ability group in SL invited me to a meeting with a relatively new group, or not a group yet. Nonprofits in Second Life, I have no idea.

   I guess the thought is to save SL from it's self, or try to either get the Lab back involved ( Haaaaa !! Good Luck On That Idea ) or to get people more involved in their SL communities. All I can say is Good Luck.

    Open Simulator and Hyper Grid will eventually grind SL into the dirt, its gonna take .... hmmmm.. I'm figuring about 2 or 3 years.

    But I'm just a kook, Hell I have only been in SL for 7 years, and all I can tell ya is this, and I will sum up my opinion in a nutshell.
 
     Most if not all of the original LL employee's are long gone......

    Those people actually cared and were very active within the community....

    And those day's are long gone :(

    Take a look, at the past.

    There were ton's of LL meeting's every week, the original Log In Page had a Daily Blog, people spouting off left and right. Now we are down to a measly 6 so called User Group's meetings per week.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:User_Groups

    And an Official LL SL Blog that is a Major Joke. Oh Hell I'm not even going to go to that waste basket.

    We got a number of very cool things over the years, but ya still cant depend on crossing a Sim Border without getting flung off into the wild blue yonder, and the price of setting up a new presence in SL is expensive, monthly tier fee's add up too.

    Personally I feel like I am on a sinking ship.

Perhaps not !

    The NPSL group does show some promise, and they do have a Web Page. I will encourage you all to take a look at. That is if you truly love SL for what it is. ( An Artistic Environment )

http://nonprofitcommons.org/

    So let's take a look at what the Old Time SecondLifer's have to say :_)

Transcript September 21 2012 NPSL Open Meeting
http://nonprofitcommons.org/content/transcript-september-14th-npc-meeting-brian-kaihoi-mayo-clinic




 

JayR Cela :_)

No comments: