Wednesday, February 13, 2013

SecondLife : Massive Confusion As New Features Are Rolled Into The Server And Viewer Code

By Avatar JayR Cela

    I have tried my best to keep rather low key about recent and forth-coming changes to SL, but now I'm not so sure. Today I attended The FireStorm Q & A meeting. Sadly this left me with some serious doubt's about the future of this Virtual World platform. According to what I heard, thing's aren't going so well with the Gran-Server-Side-Baking-Project. As a matter of fact, we as user's are about to get screwed, unless the Lab find's and fix's numerous nasty bug's introduced by this major overhaul.

    I think the most disturbing thing expressed is that the FireStorm Viewer, may not be able to keep up. Now if you are a FireStorm user, don't get your panties in a bunch yet ! But you may have been noticing lot's of problems logging in, Media_Webkit_Plugin failures, ton's of crash's for no explainable reason.

    I do have a Cisco Certified Network Associate Degree, unfortunately that dates back to 2002, so the server side issues I am woefully unqualified to make comment's on, my educated guess's are somebody does not know what the heck they are doing !

    And it's not OZ Linden, ( Geeze I'm Still getting flack over my post that he was let go or quit LL ) He is still here and has 2 regular meetings a week, and is probably the best person to go to with major questions.

    Please keep in mind he is the Viewer developer at LL, not the Server guy, that would be Andrew  & Maestro Linden.

    The meetings schedule are posted here.

     http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:User_Groups

    Now look, the worst thing ya can do is jump all over theses folk's back's and complain, that's going to get no one any where. Be patient, there are a number of highly qualified people working on numerous issues, it's just going to take some time.

    Attend the meetings, and listen. Ask question's, and please be polite.

JayR Cela :_)

No comments: