Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Virtual Worlds : On Line MMOs : Will Linux Save The Day ? It's The Game's Stupid !

By Avatar JayR Cela

    Ok by now most people know that I'm a Linux person, and it sometimes leaves me felling a bit left out of the inner circle of things. LOL :_)

    I think that you will see the tide start to change rather drastically sometime around the 4th quarter 2014. Both, Microsoft and Sony have bought into the AMD / ATI - APU  architecture, and more recently Valve with their new kid on the block, Steam Box prototype release(s)

    I think this is an exciting time for Linux fan-folk's of all sorts, here's why. OpenGL !!!!  
Apple, Sony, Android, Nintendo and just about every wiz-mo-gizmo that is not MS based use's the Open Graphics Language platform in order to display the images we see on our screens.

   As we live and breathe Valve is fast at work ( The Steam Machine ) convincing various Game Design Studio's to port over to Linux.

    Sony, possibly Nintendo and Android developers may favor the huge advantage of skipping a lot of bull crap and unnecessary work dealing with the propitiatory MS Direct-X development platform.

    I don't know, it's just a thought. I hope it does not end up like the 3DO platform envisioned and developed by the legendary Video Game pioneer Trip Hawkin's, it was introduced way before consumer grade technology was ready. Haa-Haaa- I still have one :_)

    All and all it is going to boil down to 1 thing, ( besides hardware ) and that can only be summed up with one simple phrase.  "It's The Game's !!! -- Stupid's !!!

    So far most of what I have seen on the Linux game front is a lot of ho-hum just another First Person Shooter garbage, the same old crap currently running amok across the face of the gaming world. Now, give me a Diablo or Final Fantasy, WOW, SkyRim, - whatever, and I think you can catch my drift here.

JayR Cela :_)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to see this area expand as well, Linux could be the future for many users as times get tighter.

So far best native game clients I have found are 'Eternal Lands' (http://www.eternal-lands.com/) works well with a crappy gfx card, 'Ryzom' (http://ryzom.com/) for mid to high level graphics cards and if the low rez but cool graphics can be tolerated, Habbo.com

Second Life of course works fine with Linux, after a few tweaks, as well as 3rd party clients such as Firestorm and Singularity.

But you know, there's a F2P element to those games but also money changes hands in a sub or micro-transactions so there is money to be made from Linux. I hope 3rd party mmo game makers take note of that with OpenGL in the future and flesh Linux out.

JayR Cela said...

Hi the Anonymous

Thanks for your comment and support for the encouraging words.

If you would ever consider doing a post here on this blog dealing with Linux and Virtual World Gaming, please feel free to contact me @

jayr.cela@gmail.com

Thanks

JayR Cela :_)

Lord said...

I'm actually finding some of the MMO's that you can play from your browser to be quite satisfactory, such as the ones from BigPoint (Drakensang), and they seem to be somewhat OS independent ?

JayR Cela said...

Hi there Lord, I agree Drakensang is a great example of how a browser based game can be done correctly. I have not played it in a while, and not sure if it will work on Linux or Mac for that matter.

I believe the game is Flash and or Shockwave based. The later dumped Flash support early in 2013, and Adobe more recently dropped support for Linux a few months ago. And that's just fine with me as I find Flash and Shockwave to be a scourge upon all web user's.

None the less, you make a very good point, and I appreciate you taking the time to post a comment.

Thanks

JayR Cela :_)