Tuesday, January 14, 2014

SecondLife : Random Crash's on some Linux Distro's : Possible Explanation : Old GTK+2 Libs ?

By Avatar JayR Cela

    Up until just recently, I have been enjoying my SL life on Sabayon Linux with the Cinnamon and Mate desktop environment's happily. The past few week's however, I have been getting random crash's mostly with the FireStorm 4.4.2.x release, and a few other older Third Party Viewers for the platform. I have tried to narrow this down as best I can, but have to admit I really do not have the skill's necessary to offer a definitive answer. In other word's I'm going to make an educated guess.

    Ya need to upgrade your viewer, I am not sure what happened in the Linux world that could of caused this, I'm thinking it could be some Lib's were upgraded. There is one thing I am sure of this problem seems to be isolated to the Mate & Cinnamon desktop UI's, and not one particular flavor of Linux, I have read the same results for folks dealing with Fedora & Suse, Mint, Debian, Arch, etccc...

    I'm taking a wild stab in the dark here, but I am guessing that since both Cinnamon and Mate are relative newcomers to the Linux Desktop User Environment, and both being branches from Gnome2 that there may be conflicting GTK+2 libs at fault here, GTK+3 is the newer version currently being used in just about everything Gnome based these days.

    Here's the deal, and I have seen several Jira's on this subject, in the terminal you get a message to not run SL directly, and then it crash's. Dammm / LOL :_)

    So my recommendation if your on FireStorm and having problems with random unexplained crashes, give their Beta 4.5.x a try. So far it is working well for me, at least it not crashing while I'm in the Mate DT, Cinnamon on the other-hand, I expect everything to crash. And I actually prefer the FS 4.4.2 viewer for the simple reason it is much easier for me to work with while building, somehow or other the ability to FLIP Textures got lost ( and it will be restored in the RC or Final release ) in the process. Oh well, not really a huge deal for now.

JayR Cela :_)

No comments: