Wednesday, November 30, 2016

OpenSim : HyperGrid : Linux or Windows Client ?

By Avatar JayR Cela

    Ya know what, every now and then I get someone ask's me about the Linux vs. Windows deal.

The only advice I can actually give anyone is....

Use what you are familiar with.

    Personally I am a Linux person, but that does not mean it is the best solution, in reality the majority of issue's currently being resolved within the OpenSim community will take place under the Windows platform first, and hopefully migrate down to Linux.

    The funny thing is most of the servers are running Linux, I have yet to see a Mac server, and that's no surprise, Apple seem's to be obsessed with milking their I-Phone platform until there is nothing left, and has had very little real innovation in the desktop platform for such a long a period of time,they are rapidly becoming irrelevant, and an overpriced joke within some circles.

    On the Windows side of thing's Win10 really got off to a shakey start, and the Windows 10 Home version just blows huge chunks of beaver barf, the Pro version is a definite must have, but you will still have to spend a lot of time tweaking it in order to stop all the telementary ( Spying on You ) issue's.

    That is one of the reasons I use Linux, and I have to say I am a died in the wool Debian based person, which has filtered down to Ubuntu and Mint.

    If you are new to Linux, and just testing the water's, I am going to have to recommend Mint Linux, it is not my personal choice, and I don't use it, however I can honestly say, 9 out of 10 times everything will just work right out of the box. You can find it here.  https://linuxmint.com/

JayR Cela:_)

No comments: