Monday, January 31, 2011

SecondLife "The Dolphin 2.4 Viewer Revisited" "Severe Avatar Loading Problems" "Being Ruth'ed Returns"

By Avatar JayR Cela

    Recently I reviewed the Dolphin 2.4 Viewer and complained of Anti Aliasing issues. I said I would take another look when a new version was available. This is Dolphin 2.4.0.13926, and that problem I am happy to report has been eliminated.

    However this new version seem's to have acquired another old problem ( bug ) The dreaded Avatar lot loading ( cloud ) and being "Ruth'ed" (  scrunched - squished avatar body shape ) in the process of the upgrade. ( I did not notice this during the previous review ) In order to demonstrate the severity, I decided to take numerous screen shots, and as a last resort asked a friend to TP over and take a couple of pictures as well.









                  After waiting a while I decided to change outfits. This as usual solved the problem.














    I decided to re-log and my avatar was a cloud again. I waited, and waited, and waited. Re-baked, still nothing. So I waited some more, approximately 20 minutes or more.  















                    Fooled around with some menu option's,  And waited some more.

   Teleported to my home location, still nothing.
























                         Finally I asked a friend over to take some pictures.
 


     As you can see from her view I was not a cloud, but I was "Ruth'ed". Since I was unable to click on my cloud avatar in order to go into appearance mode, opening the Appearance floater did solve the problem, on her screen and mine.

    The point I am trying to make here is, an experience user would be able to solve this issue with little problem, in short order. An inexperienced, or SL noob would probably pull their hair out, and just give up. I think it's safe to say that this issue is not strictly related to the Dolphin Viewer, as it is based on LL's official V2.4 code. My SL partner Cathy use's 2.4 and I have seen the same problem arise whit her. But she in an experienced SL user since 2004, so it is no big deal to resolve.

Fast, Easy, Fun ? Not in my opinion.

JayR Cela :_(

No comments: