Monday, June 6, 2011

Go figure

Mister Acacia is online

So I was sitting around the other day scratching my, um, cat, and I got an email. It was an offline from SL. From Ed Merryman, the Phoenix Viewer Support lead. He asks me to IM him when I get online.

Three things raced through my mind. The first was a question: Why does my cat look like my backside? Oh wait, TMI.

The next two were possible reasons Ed wanted to chat: That he wanted me to stop helping for one reason or another - maybe he reads this blog and saw how I whined about some of the people who, perhaps, were venting their frustrations as a way of seeking a sympathetic ear, which they oft times didn't get; maybe I'm giving bad advice, though I try not to; maybe I'm just adding to the lag and spending too much time cracking wise or having off-topic discussions; maybe being a stickler for rules (posting rules, most recently) is causing disharmony.

Or, he was going to ask me to join the team. Pffft. Yeah, right. There are so many things I don't know about Phoenix, I can't run Phoenix and Firestorm at the same time, I can only guess at a solution, I am clueless about Windows and Mac. There's no way he wants me on the team.

If I ever gave anyone bad advice, it was to myself. I was right, I don't know everything about Phoenix, but I do use it and so I have in-world experience, and I share that experience with those who are having problems I've conquered. I can't run Phoenix and Firestorm at the same time for a very long time, but there is no requirement.

No, what got me the offer was a surprise to me. I never told anyone they were stupid, or silly, or made them feel bad for the situation in which they found themselves. I treated them like people who needed help, who needed the ability to vent, get their frustrations out and guidance to start making their SL and, more importantly, Phoenix/Firestorm experience better. Wisdom can be gained, but I already have the prerequisites.

Go figure.

Mister Acacia is offline

No comments: