Thursday, June 30, 2011

Open Sim~OSgrid "Emptying Your Trash" "The Importance Of !"

By Avatar JayR Cela

    Ok ya really gotta grasp this concept, because it is extremely important. And that concept is the huge difference between a grid like SecondLife, or any other closed Virtual World, like 3rdRock, InWorldz etc... And any Open Sim based VW

    On a closed Grid your inventory resides on the grid operators server's. In an Open Sim world, like OSgrid, your inventory resides on your computer. ( and this brings up another point, I will discuss in an upcoming post, Backing Up Your Inventory )

    Unlike SL when your Trash folder is getting full, you simply empty it, and the SL server's get rid of the clutter for you automatically. This is not the case in an Open Sim World, there are several steps involved in order to complete the process. ( It took me 2 crash's and 3 try's before I was successful )

    The first thing you need to do is find a Wall of Knowledge, like the one located at the Wright Plaza Travel Center. You will notice I have 480 item's in my inventory, about 70 of them are in my trash
                                            

You click on the appropriate "semi sphere " Log In To Empty Trash" and you will be prompted to goto the main OSgrid home page and log in, you then select Empty Trash.


At that point you will then be taken to a information screen telling you that it will take approximately 15 minutes while you inventory is queued , and that the next time you log in the task will have been completed. I'm not sure, but I believe you must remain on-line during this 15 minute period, so plan ahead. 


I mentioned above it took me several attempts before I was successful, but as you can see when I did log in later my 70 items had been cleared from my Trash bin.
It is somewhat of a pain in the ass, but we are exploring  new horizon's here, and everything about Open Sim Virtual Worlds besides the viewers, is still in the Alpha stages of development. So just be patient, grin and bear it.

JayR Cela :_)

2 comments:

Mera Kranfel said...

tis a good thing u write about this. Some of us take it for granted but i guess a lot of new residents dont have a clue.

Nice blog! =)

JayR Cela said...

Hi there Mera

Thanks for your kind comment / LOL / I'm just learning right along with ya. I can tell ya this much, I still have a lot of research to do / this is so different from SL / looks the same on the outside, but the inner workings are much more complex.

JayR :_)