Friday, January 27, 2012

OpenSim : My Return and The CoolVL Viewer

By Avatar JayR Cela

    It has been a while since I last took a serious look at anything dealing with the OpenSim Meta-Verse, but I have to admit my recent venture into the Aurora Server based backend Nova Grid,  ( free 1 year hosting deal ) re-sparked my interest for alternatives to the SecondLife platform.

    My biggest question was what viewer should I use for my explorations. Imprudence has been pretty much the standard over the past year or two, before that it was the Hippo viewer. Personally I do not care for either one. More recently the Astra viewer has emerged as the up and coming V.W. client of choice. If you are unfamiliar with Astra, it is brought to you by project lead Siana Gearz, the same person who heads up the Singularity viewer initiative. After much consideration, weighing all the pros and cons, I have decided to make Henry Beauchamps "Cool Viewer" my standard grid hopping client. ( at least for the time being )

    I know I may have disappointed a few regular readers last year when I got all hopped up on OS, ended up getting very frustrated, and eventually threw in the towel.  But I have to admit I find the OpenSim platform to be very exciting and worthy of devoting some of my time to.

    That being said, the month of February will have quite a bit of coverage devoted to OS and the Cool Viewer weekly builds. I hope you enjoy the ride. As always any and all opinions or feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

JayR Cela :_)

No comments: