Thursday, March 13, 2014

CinnaMateStudio : So What's Up With That Project ?

By Avatar JayR Cela

    I've been asking myself this same question, for the past month or so. Currently it is in a holding pattern while I wait for the next LTS Linux kernel releases, expected sometime mid to late April this year.

    I have also been questioning the practically of the project it'self, since there are a lot of great Linux distro's already devoted to the same thing I have been trying to accomplish. UbuntuStudio an off-shoot Buntu Linux distro, and has been around since the 8.04 version of Ubuntu, and a number of other's as well.

    So here is my decision so far, although I absolutely  love Sabayon Linux as my platform of choice, I seriously doubt that few folks beside's die hard Linux Tin Foil Hatter's would be able to maintain it properly without running into a lot of oddball issues.

     My origin's in Linux date back to the early RedHat 5-6-7-8 days, that's when I made the switch to Ubuntu 8.04 on up until the last LTS 12.04 version, witch I absolutely hated because of the switch to the UNITY User Interface, so on an old SecondLife friends ( Christen of The Christen Viewer fame ) suggestion I give Mint Linux a try, that worked out really well for almost 2 years, after a lot of frustration dealing with the former's last 2 releases, I decided to make the switch to the Gentoo based Sabayon, which is fantastic. Realistically however, I have to admit if I ever hope to get a supportable and easily sustainable platform, it's just not gonna happen with this distro (at least not without a lot of extra help) So I may just switch back to old standby's Debian or Ubuntu or Mint.

    I have a number of other project's in the proverbial fire right now, more than enough to keep me busy until April or May.

    In closing, I have decided not to cancel the project, just shelve it for a bit, while I start my search for some help from fellow, like minded Linux folks. The project is not dead, just on temporary hold.

JayR Cela :_)

       

No comments: