Saturday, March 15, 2014

RealLife : ComputerLife : Your Elderly Parent's Want To Buy A Computer : What Advice Would You Offer ?

By Avatar JayR Cela

     This post is really intended as more of a question to my readers than anything else. My parent's are 80 and 76 years old, my father being the elder of the two. My dad gave up on the internet and lost interest several years ago. My mom however want's to write her memoirs, or a book of some sort. and envision's publishing it via the web. So she has been asking me my opinion. She definitely wants a laptop, that much I know for sure, and a friend of her's has been using Dragon Naturally Speaking to do something similar.

    I know absolutely ZERO, about laptop computers !! I think Windows-7 is not a good choice for her, I though about the upcoming Ubuntu 14.04, but Windows-8.1 is looking pretty good to me because it's outward usability appearance is straightforward and simplistic and touch screen capabilities. Mac-books I think just about anyone can use OS-X, but they are a bit on the pricey side. Chromebooks are looking better every month as far as bang for your buck is concerned, and I defiantly have recommended already a Laser printer, as opposed to an Inkjet.

     So here is my question to the readers of this blog. For about $600 US the laptop price, can anyone out there offer some suggestions, brand-wise ?

JayR Cela  :_)

2 comments:

Eddi Haskell said...

First of all, if it is not portable (if your mom is not going to schlep it around) I would get her a laptop with at last a 17 inch screen. It will be easier for her to read.

Windows 8.1 is fine, since just about all new laptops come with it (that are not Mac of course). It has large squares that easy to navigate and work with. I am a Windows 7 person and do not yet want to upgrade to 8.1 out of habit, but if I were buying new, I would go with Windows 8.1.

I would not get a touch screen, they are more expensive, unless she has a pad and is used to working this way.

I like Costco as a purchase site since there is a no questions asked return period where your mom can just drive up to if she does not like it. Costco also has the best two year (free) warranty in the business. Please check though to see if this is still in effect. They also have a great customer support phone line.

Here is a new Dell 17 inch for you to look at for $599.

http://www.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-17-Laptop-%7c-Intel-Core-i5.product.100098433.html

If you do not care about Costco take a look at this 17 laptop bought directly from Dell for $450. Just make sure to buy the extended service warranty with it.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17-3721/pd?oc=fncwd1227s&model_id=inspiron-17-3721

If you are set on Windows 7 take a look at this: BTW I think Gateway is a good make.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314207

JayR Cela said...

Hi there Eddie

Thank's, I had forgotten all about Costco's.

*bigg huggs*

JayR :_)