Friday, October 2, 2015

OpenSim : Chat Logs : Conflicting Standards or Lack There Of

By Avatar JayR Cela

     Look I don't go spouting off with some half baked crank bull-crap nonsense gossip and such like a number of OS/HG folk's. I only speak when I feel something is important.

     Currently there seems to be no set standard for storing and being able to read your chat log's from one TPV Viewer to another, they all seem to store the chat log file into different locations using incompatible formats.
 
     In other words, my Singularity chat log file's cannot be read by FireStorm or other viewers, and the same holds true in reverse. FireStorm cannot read Singularity chat log files, nor Kokua, or Alchemy or CoolVL.

     So this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

     I as a land manager depend upon the ability to be able to accurately read my past conversations with various people, often requiring me to log in in with a different viewer, simply because the person I am dealing with does not use the same one that I use, and they require assistance that mandates I be using the same viewer as they are in order to be able to explain things to them correctly.

    I am very excited about the Alchemy Viewer, currently it's kinda a work in progress, however as much as I dislike the V3 platform,  I would encourage everyone within the OpenSim community to get involved with both the Alchemy and Singularity viewer team's.

JayR Cela

No comments: