Thursday, September 1, 2016

Singularity 1.8.7.xxxx Woe's with Ubuntu 16.04.1 Based Distro's : My Final Solution

By Avatar JayR Cela

    I know this story is getting old, and please disregard any previous misinformation you may have read previously here, but I am (was) determined to make the newest version of the Singularity virtual world viewer work with the mess Canonical Ltd's, latest Ubuntu distribution left a lot of formely happy campers with. I also am well aware of the great and sower full loss of a core member of the Singularity team, Latif Khalifa who was a driving force behind this wonderful and totally unbloated masterpiece of software. I have also talked with various fellow users under other major Linux distribution's, most notably several Arch based distro's whom have experienced no problems whats so ever. There had to be a missing link somewhere, and I seem to have finally found it.

    I am taking no credit for this solution, the praise belongs to the author of this blog post.
                                                           ( fredfire1 on WordPress )

install singularity / firestorm / Catznip / kokua / radegast / secondlife / alchemy/ Cool VL Viewer/ Replex/ Exodus/ OnLook [ubuntu,debian]

https://fredfire1.wordpress.com/2015/04/29/install-firestorm-ubuntu/

    This is a must read for any Singularity fans, and for that matter any other people seeking a solution to unexpected problems with the latest Ubuntu based distributions, and other V1 or V3 based OpenSim viewers. As you can see this post seems to cover all the bases and apparently has been updated numerous times.

    In order to make a long story short I will sum it up this way, I switched my distro to LinuxMint 18 KDE Beta and did the following.


*First thing to do is open a terminal and make yourself the Root - super user*

su

*Run these two commands

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update

*Now run this nested command line to add the necessary lib files*

apt-get install libasound2:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libasyncns0:i386 libattr1:i386 libc6:i386 libc6-i686:i386 libcap2:i386 libdbus-1-3:i386 libflac8:i386 libgcc1:i386 libice6:i386 libjson0:i386 libogg0:i386 libpulse0:i386 libsm6:i386 libsndfile1:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libvorbis0a:i386 libvorbisenc2:i386 libwrap0:i386 libx11-6:i386 libx11-xcb1:i386 libxau6:i386 libxcb1:i386 libxdmcp6:i386 libxext6:i386 libxi6:i386 libxtst6:i386 zlib1g:i386 -y

*Ok you now need to get the proper x86-64 stuff in place with these commands*

dpkg --add-architecture amd64
apt-get update

    Well after doing this procedure and wiping out any and all traces of Singularity from my home directory ( be sure to allow display hidden files, including the .secondlife file if you happen to find one left over from any previous installations )

    Next step was to isolate the Singularity cache file from it's default installation location, I usually do this by creating an OpenSim directory and a nested CacheFiles > Singularity folder and place it there. For one reason or another this is just an old habit of mine, and not really necessary

    Open your Singularity folder, open Konsole in the same directory and as a normal user type
./singularity

    For one reason or another this installed a faulty launcher in my Internet Menu, which is no big deal because it also runs the Singularity script in Konsole thus opening the viewer itself in a separate window.

    I have been running this way for the past few days without many random crashes, there is however one nagging problem I have yet to solve, my first HyperGrid jump always results in a Crash, once I get through that just re log and proceed normally.

JayR Cela :_)

PS. many thanks again to fredfire1 of Wordpress  bloggers for this fantastic resource post I used to solve my problem, I hope it will help you as well.

No comments: