Monday, June 12, 2017

The Open Sim Power Boat Racing Association : 2 Headquarters Locations and 3 Boats TBA Soon

By Avatar JayR Cela

     I am a very big fan of Hydroplane racing, and thanks to the generous contributions of open waterways and land area on both 3rd Rock Grid and The Kaz Grid, and some store space donated by Lani Global on OSGrid I am starting to get the ball rolling. My first 3 boats are untextured and ready to be customized. All three are using a Bullet physics script created by Shin Ingen, and slightly modified for the seating position in the Midget model.

    Now the big test is going to be a comparison between the OpenSim 0.8.2 and 0.9.xx series of the OpenSim Grid. The Kaz Grid is currently running with OS 0.9.RC2 with a very spacious lake area made up of the standard 256x256 sq. meter regions, and 3rdRock Grid is opting for the Var Sim design.

     One thing I have found right off the bat is crappy scripts perform differently BIG TIME ! We had a boat that worked great on the 3rdRock Var Sims and barely worked at all on the Kaz Grid standard regions, it would stall or stutter every time the vehicle came to a border crossing.

    This new Multi Grid Group I am proposing is open for suggestions, the only rule being that the engine scripts have to be Open Source. I have yet to be convinced that Bullet or ubODE physics is the way to go, however most people I have spoken with tend to lean in the Bullet physics camp.

    I have 3 Hydroplanes that are going to be freely available later on today at 3 HyperGrid Locations.



    They are far from perfect and are not intended to be. I have designed them to be modified to your hearts content.

    Please stay tuned, as I will be Boxing them up for distribution, and posting some locations on the HyperGrid where you will be able to rezz them and have some fun.

JayR Cela :_)

No comments: