Thursday, December 8, 2016

OpenSim : Debian 8.x : ChaletOS 16.04.2 + UbuntuStudio :

By Avatar JayR Cela

    This may be the best Linux distro package combination I have found so far. ChaletOS 16.04.2 uses the Ubuntu Xenial  Xerus repositories, however it is a Debian 8 ( Jessie ) based flavor of the XFCE Linux desktop environment, is highly customizable ( can easily be made to look like Windows 7 ), extremely fast and a good fit for an aging computer collecting dust somewhere.

    The reason I stumbled onto this relatively new Debian fork was by accident trying to find a distro besides Mint with Mate or Cinnamon for my living room TV setup using an old Dell tower Core2 Duo with 4gig ram and a 1gig Nvidia GT730 based card with HDMI audio/video output, and a problem I was having with font scaling automatically adjusting itself post installation of the official Nvidia driver on an older Sony Bravia KDL-40XBR7 television.

    Believe me, I had tried dozens, of Linux distributions on this Box in the past year, and none have been as good an experience as ChaletOS, it really breathed some new life into an older computer.

     After playing around with it for a while and adding a few things necessary to run the Singularity viewer ( without unexpected random and constant crashing ) and getting the driver installer to work, and a few other minor annoyances, I decided to add UbuntuStudio to ChaletOS, after all they are both XFCE based.

     I am so happy with this install, I am about to document how to combine the two, resulting in a very nice OpenSim viewer(s) experience. I don't care what viewer you are using, FireStorm or Singularity, Kokua or CoolVL or Alchemy, you will see a noticeable increase in your FPS performance specs.

    I now have this running on 3 box's with a dual boot to a Win10_Pro setup.

    Adding the UbuntuStudio meta installer really rounded the whole package out. I will admit it did not go without some major botching things up on my part, thats why I feel it is important to actually document what I did correctly ( and incorrectly )

    So stayed tuned, Real Life is hectic at the moment, but I will return !

https://sites.google.com/site/chaletoslinux/home 

JayR Cela :_)


No comments: