Friday, March 4, 2011

I never hide the media URL


I never hide the media URL 
-
by Selby Evans
-
-
JayR thinks this is a major issue.  Since you can't hide the music stream on your parcel, anyone could copy it and set it on their parcel.  Or stream it directly from the web.  All true, but would the venue operator or the performer care?  
-
I have been running shows in Second Life for several years.  I have never set the option to hide media.   I have never had a perform ask me to conceal the stream.  
-
I don't look on the local venue as a revenue center, and I don't think the performers do either.  In fact a number or performers have websites where the stream is directly available on the web.  I see these performances in Second Life as a promotional opportunity.  Performers use the exposure to build an audience and market their music.  The more exposure, the better.  
-
I sponsor performances on Hobo Island sandbox.  I set the stream to the whole sandbox parcel and announce that setting to the entire island.  I invite the sandbox users to listen while they build.  I am encouraging that same practice at Saint Leo University, another place where I sponsor events.  
-
My view, admittedly that of a promoter-publicist, is that beginners are better off getting visibility than protecting their products.  When the public is clamoring for what you do--that's the time to start protecting it.   
================================

No comments: