Friday, March 23, 2012

Does LL really care?

Mister Acacia is online

I don't know the answer to that, to be honest. They bring us features, some of which are good, many of which are just so-so, some that plain suck, some that introduce problems and none of which seem to fix any problems.

Today it's Direct Delivery, specifically the Merchant Outbox. There's a JIRA issue saying that Linux users can't use the outbox. It got quick attention and was acknowledged and assigned to their pool user, misnamed WorkingOnIt Linden. But this morning Oz Linden changed the issue. He unassigned it, meaning LL are not working on it (so no real change there), but set the fix version to Open Development Candidates. This is explained as "Issues that are good candidates for open source developers to take up."

What does this really mean? I'm not sure. I could speculate that LL can't fix it and so they're asking the general public for help, but only those who actually look to see if LL need help. I could speculate that LL have no desire to fix this problem because they don't fix their bugs and instead only deploy new features and restrict innovation, so they're leaving about 10% of their userbase unsupported.

I could speculate, but I won't. I've asked for an explanation, but since that also isn't in keeping with deploying faulty new features, I don't expect I'll get a response.

I would ask that my fellow Linux users check in on that JIRA, watch and vote, and let LL know that it works or doesn't work for you.

I also ask that my fellow Windows and Mac users open that JIRA and then go to one of the related issues (28630 and 28631) and watch, vote and comment. One of you should add some sysinfo and maybe a viewer log.

Let's remind LL that they make a profit off of our in-world and marketplace spending, and if they're going to treat us like shit then that's what they'll get.

Mister Acacia is offline

No comments: