It has been well over a year since my original August/5/2010 article "Avatar Not Loading / An Easy Fix" first was published here, and a few thing's have changed since then. Some of the tip's and trick's described in that post no longer apply. Hopefully these new hint's will solve your problem(s)
#1 You log in and appear as a cloud and remain so indefinitely
#2 You log in and appear all squished ( Ruthed ) and remain so indefinitely
#3 You log in and appear fine on your screen but others see you as naked or missing clothes.
The last one ( #3 ) can be extremely frustrating, any seemingly impossible to correct. There is an excellent WIKI entry on the Phoenix Viewer web site that will address 99% of all problems.
I will reprint the most pertinent portion of it here.
- Change your active group.
- Rebake (Ctrl-Alt-R) - a few times.
- Go into Edit → Appearance (and try to edit anything and save the difference); exit Appearance. (If you cannot edit appearance, then continue with the steps below.)
- Replace your hair base with a different one, if it lets you. If that works, you can then replace it with your usual one.
- Check your bandwidth, as described above; you should also see whether resetting your modem and/or router clears the problem.
- If you use Norton Anti Virus - or any of the Norton suite of utilities, try disabling them, then relogging. Norton has been known to inhibit textures from loading.
- Make sure your inventory is fully loaded by manually clearing your cache. See here for instructions on how to do that.
- Make a new temporary folder, and put into it a copy of your shape, skin, hair base, eyes. Then right click on the folder name and Replace Outfit (not Wear, that will not work).
- If this too fails, you will need to try the Craig or Katie avatars. For this, please join one of the Phoenix in-world support groups and request it. The groups are listedhere; or you may contact one of support team directly.
- Go to Advanced (Ctrl-Alt-D to activate) → Character → Character Tests → Test Male/Female
(this will turn you into a ruthed/noobie avi, and you'll have to rewear all your normal skin, clothes and attachments)
Rebake - and again - and again. If that works, replace your normal avatar in this order: Hair base, eyes, shape, skin, hair, shirt, pants, shoes, etc.
- Finally, if that too fails, download and install SL Viewer 2 (yes, that!). Log in on it, remove everything you can, wear the a hair base, eyes, skin, rebake. Logout, then log back in on Phoenix. If you're still having issues, toggle HTTP Get a few times, rebaking between each.I hope this will help people out.JayR Cela :_)