Thursday, June 18, 2020

OpenSim : HyperGrid : Power Boats, Speed Boats and the "Realism Effect" Part 1

By Avatar JayR Cela

    As a very young boy in RL growing up 2 streets away from the Detroit River in the State of Michigan, USA. I was always fascinated by boats and ships of all kinds, from the gigantic Lake Freighters, to the motorized fishing and pleasure craft, there was never a shortage of fascinating things to view off the shoreline.

     There was one thing that really stood out to me and that was the Hydroplane races each summer up and down the river, from the Gold Cup in Detroit to the races taking place further south and north of the city throughout the season. These were in my mind, "the must see event's" of the entire year.  Some family and friends were boat owners, so as I was growing up  I quickly fell in love with ability to actually be able to drive some of them. So when I joined SecondLife back in 2005 one of the first thing I did was purchase several boats, and the experience was horrible, an absolute disaster when it came to physic engine performance, not to mention sim border crossings or the dreaded corner sim crossings.

     Eventually I gradually started migrating to OpenSim and found my home on 3rdRock Grid, a great grid, some wonderful people and it's STABLE! meaning we rarely have problems. So I started collecting powerboats from all over the hypergrid, mostly OSGrid and found all of these.






























    Which was great except very few of them were actually scripted with anything good or at all. So what did I do with them ?

     Stop by for my next post and find out.

JayR Cela :_)

No comments: